Health & Social Care
Level 2, Edexcel Diploma
Duration: One-year Course
This course will give you a taste of what health and social care is all about, helping you to make an informed choice about working in these rewarding sectors.
You will develop practical skills in caring, effective methods of communication, how to meet individual needs and how to promote the rights of service users.
We will encourage you to take responsibility for your own learning. This will help prepare you for further study or for progression to direct employment in the health or social care environment.
- Human Lifespan Development
- Health & Social Care Core Values.
- Effective Communication
- Healthy Living.
- The Impact of Nutrition on Health & Wellbeing
- Equality & Diversity in Health & Social Care
- Individual Rights in Health & Social Care.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
Assignment work is completed using a range of formats, including: posters, leaflets, fact sheets, games and presentations. Some learning takes place outside the classroom, with trips to settings or discussions with visiting guest speakers. The majority of units are assessed through internally set assignments; other units will be externally assessed.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- Opportunity to carry out work experience in a Health & Social Care setting
- Trips/visits to complement the learning on your course including Colchester Zoo, the local food bank and The Science Museum.
- Course Tutors have a wealth of experience from working and studying in the Health & Social Care field, including: Nursing, Public Health, Childcare, Residential Care and Physiotherapy.
- Guest talks from a range of health and social care practitioners – past speakers have included: Midwives, Nurses, Paramedics, Complementary Therapists, Dieticians and Social Workers.
What Could I Do Next?
This qualification can lead to further study – such as the Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Health & Social Care (equivalent to two A Levels). Some students choose to go straight into employment and they can consider a wide range of opportunities in the care field.
Former student success
Many students progress to the Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care and continue to study at university in subjects like: Nursing, Midwifery, Paramedic Sciences, Occupational Therapy, Social Work, Forensic Science and Teaching.
General Entry Requirements
At least four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above including English Language or Maths. At least one GCSE needs to be at grade C/4 or above.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Grade D/3 or above in GCSE English Language
- Grade D/3 or above in GCSE Maths
- A satisfactory DBS check will be required.
- All students will undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check – this is currently £62, but may be subject to change
- Material costs
- Trips/visits – these should not exceed £50 in any one year.