Level 3, A Level
Duration: Two Year Course
You will learn the skills of mathematical analysis, primarily through coordinate geometry and calculus.
The art of independent problem solving is developed along with principles of logic and proof. You will also be introduced to new functions used in mathematical modelling. One third of the course consists of applied modules.
You have the option of either mechanics or statistics. Mechanics is strongly recommended for anyone who is also studying A-Level Physics.
The course is linear over two years and contains a combination of Pure Mathematics, Statistics and Mechanics topics.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
This course is assessed wholly by examinations; you will sit 2-hour examinations at the end of the second year. Two exams are on Pure Mathematics and the third exam is on Statistics and Mechanics.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- There is an annual enrichment trip to the University of London, where you can attend a lecture on “Maths in Action”.
- There are further opportunities to participate in the Maths Challenge, and Team Maths Challenge, competing against other students.
What Could I Do Next?
- Maths A-Level is a highly regarded subject that is useful if you are interested in studying a degree in Maths, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or Economics.
- A wide range of A-Level employer training schemes in the Financial Services and Engineering sectors also welcome this subject.
- Many Maths A-Level students at Seevic College go on to study Mathematics and Science degrees at university.
General Entry Requirements
Average point score of 5.3, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score MUST include at least five GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
If your English Language is a D/3, your Maths must be at least a C/4 and vice versa.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Grade A/7 or above in GCSE Maths.
- Grade B/6 will be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Students will need to purchase a scientific calculator for approximately £7.