Level 2, OCR Cambridge Technical
Duration: One Year Course
This course is ideal if you are interested in a career as an IT practitioner or technician.
You will gain a broad knowledge and understanding of, and develop skills in, the information technology sector and some aspects of the creative industries. This course covers many of the basic knowledge and practical skills required to progress into a career, further work related training or the Level 3 OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma in ICT.
In IT you will learn about many aspects of the subject, from the online world and e-commerce to technology systems and hardware. There are opportunities to learn about software development and multimedia product design alongside databases and computer networks.
This qualification includes core units and additional specialist units, which include:
- Communicating in the IT industry
- Working in the IT industry
- Database systems
- Speadsheet modelling
- Animation Techniques
- Presenting information using IT
- Developing programming solutions
The last unit to be completed is an online digital portfolio that encompasses all of the units studied throughout the course and is designed to showcase your work.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
- You’ll work in small groups, with the entire class and independently. There’ll be a lot of practical work, using a computer and other hardware, and you’ll get a great deal teamwork experience during group work/projects. There’ll also be informal individual tests, designed to help you prepare for the online exams. You’ll be encouraged to research new areas within the IT sector.
- You will be assessed through coursework, which will be based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. This is set and marked by your Teacher.
- You will be expected to develop work related skills such as time management, team working and the ability to quality check your own work. Other skills such as attendance and punctuality are also very heavily emphasized.
What Could I Do Next?
After successfully completing the course you may have the option to progress on to:
- Level 3 OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma in ICT at Seevic College
- Apprenticeship in the IT sector.
Former student success
Many of our former students have gone on to university to study degree courses related to ICT like Computer Science, Network Engineering, Web Design and coding. Some students have gone on to Apprenticeships or taken jobs as trainee support technicians with both local and London based companies.
General Entry Requirements
At least four GCSEs at grade D/3 or above including English Language or Maths. At least one GCSE needs to be at grade C/4 or above.
There may be trips during the year to various events or exhibitions, maximum cost will be £25 per student.