Games Development (Creative Digital Media)
Level 3, UAL Extended Diploma
Duration: Two Year Course
This course teaches you practical skills that will enable you to generate ideas and realise them using a variety of software packages.
You will need to have an interest in both the creative and technical aspects of using technology. You will study a range of units including:
- Computer Games Design
- 2D and 3D Games Development
- Stop Motion Animation
- 3D Animation and Modelling
- Digital Graphics
- Preparing Pre-Production Materials
- Communication Skills in Creative Media.
- Understanding the Computer Games Industry: you will develop a professional approach to project management, focusing on an examination of the stages of game development and how the process is effectively managed using modern software.
- Computer Game Platforms and Technologies: you will study hardware and software technologies, as well as a journey into the history and development of computer games platforms.
- 3D Modelling: you will devise/develop original ideas, interpreting creative briefs and considering potential target audiences, while building practical computer modelling skills and learning to create 3D models using a range of techniques.
- 3D Animation
- Research Techniques for the Media Industries
- Computer Game Design
- Human-Computer Interfaces
- Computer Game Engines
- Flash Game Development
- Computer Game Story Development
- 3D Environment Design
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
The course has both practical and written elements. Assessment is based on assignments and presentations set throughout the year.
Projects and assignments are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands, and you will develop work-related skills within a vocational context.
Your assignments can consist of a variety of evidence, such as: presentations, practical tasks and written reports.
What Could I Do Next?
- You will be prepared for careers within the computer games industry, computer generated special effects industry, television and advertising industries.
- You may also go on to one of the many compatible Higher Education degree courses, like: Digital Animation, Games Design or Media.
General Entry Requirements
Five GCSEs (minimum) Grade C/4 or above including English Language or Maths. If you achieve English at a grade C/4, your Maths grade must be a D/3 and vice versa.
Students will be accepted with Level 2 BTEC Diploma (or equivalent) at Merit Level and English Language or Maths at Level C/4.
Specific Entry Requirements
Grade C/4 in Art, Media or ICT is preferable.
- Memory stick, sketch book, lever arch folder, pens and pencils
- Trips/visits – one trip a year.