Level 3, A Level
Duration: Two Year Course
A-Level Biology is an ideal subject choice if you plan to study other science-based subjects or progress on to higher level science courses at university.
You will learn about a wide range of biological concepts and techniques, including: health and diseases, theory of DNA replication, biochemistry of photosynthesis and respiration.
You will also discover how you have developed from a simple single cell into a complex, multi-cellular, organism and how the genetic code has allowed such complexity to thrive on Earth. You will also explore how society makes decisions about biology-related issues and how biology contributes to the success of the economy and society. Topics covered alongside the core subject criteria include: developmental biology, the musculoskeletal system, and learning and habituation.
- Lifestyle, Health and Risk
- Genes and Health
- Voice of the Genome
- Biodiversity and Natural Resources
- On the Wild Side
- Immunity, Infection and Forensics
- Run for Your Life
- Grey Matter.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
You will concentrate on classroom learning with practical application. Assessment takes place through 100% examination; there is no coursework in A-Level Biology. There are three, two hour examinations at the end of the second year that cover all the covered content and make up 100% of your final A-Level grade. You will also be assessed on your practical skills, techniques and competency by completing a number of core practicals throughout the two years.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- A-Level Biology at Seevic College uses real life contexts to introduce biological principals. You will also have the chance to develop your investigative skills via our core practicals.
- Learning supported by trips and visits that link to current topics.
- Unrivalled support, including additional help sessions, run throughout the year by your Tutors.
What Could I Do Next?
This qualification enables progression to Higher Education courses, such as: Biomedicine, Zoology, Marine Biology, Veterinary Science, Medicine and Dentistry when studied alongside other science based courses. Former A-Level Biology students from Seevic College are currently studying these subjects at universities across the country, in additional to specialist subjects such as Equine Sports Therapy.
General Entry Requirements
Average point score of 5.3, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score MUST include at least five GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
If you achieve English at a Grade C/4, your Maths grade must be a D and vice versa.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Grade BB/55 or above in GCSE Science (not equivalents)
- Grade B/5 or above in GCSE Maths
- Grade C/4 in English Language.
- Some associated costs for trips and visits (to be confirmed).