Level 3, UAL Extended Diploma
Duration: Two Year Course
Produce a professional-standard portfolio and develop your own specialism during this creative two-year course.
Within the first year, you will gain expert insight in to directorial and opportunistic photography whilst charting out the history and technical development of the subject, from early chemical pioneers to the digital revolution.
The course will offer extensive research into the world of contemporary practitioners and keep a finger on the pulse of fresh digital techniques via PhotoShop and other Adobe applications.
The second year focuses more on photography as an art form and time based media, exploring fine art practices such as screen-printing, over-painting and montage which accumulate in an installation exhibition. Further skill development creating stop-frame animation, film editing and special effect photography.
- Unit 1 - Introduction to Visual Language
- Unit 2 - Introduction to Research Skills
- Unit 3 - Introduction to Critical and Contextual Awareness
- Unit 4 - Introduction to Materials, Processes and Technical skills
- Unit 5 - An integrated approach to 2D problem solving
- Unit 6 - An integrated approach to 3D problem solving in Art & Design
- Unit 7 - An integrated approach to time-based problem solving
- Unit 8 - Developing an Art & Design project
- Unit 9 - Opportunities for Progression.
- Unit 10 - Characteristics and Contexts
- Unit 11 - Preparation for Progression in Art & Design
- Unit 12 - Engaging with an Audience in Art & Design
- Unit 13 - Project Proposal and Realisation in Art & Design.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
- Practical, theoretical and research based learning assessed through sketchbooks, Internal exhibitions and self publication
- Final Major Project and end show
- Passport to Careers (p2c) log books.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- Links with local professional businesses and enterprises via the college ‘Live Creative’ College Company
- Trips/visits to Southend and London Galleries.
- Expert tutor experience and subject knowledge
- Links to local industry and strong work experience placements.
What Could I Do Next?
- Progression onto another course at Seevic, such as the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design
- Careers in lens-based industries that require photography such as advertising, fashion, product design, architecture, marketing and freelance events.
- University in subjects such as Lens-based Photography, Film and Animation, Fine Art, Fashion and Branding, Marketing and Events.
General Entry Requirements
Five GCSEs (minimum) Grade C/4 or above including English Language or Maths. If your English Language is a D/3, your Maths must be at least a C/4 and vice versa.
A Level 2 BTEC Diploma or above and GCSE English Language or Maths at grade C/4 or above.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Grade C/4 or above in an Art, Design or Media based GCSE is preferred.
- Students will be required to present a portfolio or sketchbook of art work as part of the interview process to demonstrate commitment and potential.
- It is essential that you have a digital SLR camera at the start of the course and it is highly recommended that you also have a tripod and solid A2 folio case
- Ideally, you should have access to a computer with a recent version of ‘Photoshop’ to practice what is delivered during the taught sessions. It is recommended that you spend about ten hours per week on home study, sketchbook compiling outside of class and actively taking photographs
- A budgeting sheet is provided for costs such as mounting, presentation and self-publishing, so you can save on a monthly basis to enable strong presentation for prospective interviews
- You will also be required to keep a printing account which costs about £10-15 a month.