English Language & Literature
Level 3, A Level
Duration: Two Year Course
A-Level English Language & Literature will benefit students who enjoy reading and creative writing.
It is a core academic subject which will hone your skills at analysis and writing creatively.
You will analyse a diverse range of texts; from poems, plays and speeches, to TV scripts and e-communications. You will also consider how English is used in both spoken and written forms, exploring elements from both Language and Literature A-Levels to bring you the best of both.
- Component 1: Voices in Speech and Writing
- Component 2: Varieties in Language and Literature
- Component 3: Coursework
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
You will be assessed mainly by examination with a coursework component in the second year. During both years you will write analysis, essays on literary texts, transformation texts and take part in presentations. As a second year student you will complete coursework which is creative writing inspired by texts you have read.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- Trips to the theatre, museums and galleries
- Trip to The Guardian newspaper for a journalism course
- Highly experienced Tutors who are passionate about their subject.
What Could I Do Next?
- Study at degree level in subjects including: English, Linguistics, Drama or Creative Writing.
- Potential career options might include: Administration, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Publishing or Teaching.
- Former students have gone on to study English, Journalism, Creative Writing and other academic subjects at university; these in turn have led to careers in Journalism, Publishing, Advertising and Marketing.
- A-Level English Language & Literature is also an ideal subject for those who wish to go on to more vocational careers, such as Teaching or Social Work.
General Entry Requirements
Average point score of 5.3, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score MUST include at least five GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
If you achieve English at a Grade C/4, your Maths grade must be a D/3 and vice versa.
Specific Entry Requirements
Grade C/4 or above in GCSE English Literature and English Language.
- Set texts and texts for your own wider reading
- Trips to the theatre and to London.