Art & Design
Level 3, UAL Extended Diploma
Duration: Two Year Course
Do you have artistic flair? This course will see you learn more about the creative and practical side of art and design.
Art is a general term, which encompasses many areas of specialisation and different types of employment. Design is a fascinating, exciting and rewarding way of earning a living; modern society cannot function without it.
You will undertake a range of specialist projects, including: graphics, printing, sculpting, painting, advertising, marketing and branding, illustration, public artwork and special effects make-up.
- Unit 1 - Introduction to Visual Language in Art & Design
- Unit 2 - Introduction to Research Skills in Art & Design
- Unit 2 - Introduction to Critical and Contextual Awareness in Art & Design
Specialist projects include:
- Observational Drawing
- Special Effects Make-up
- Graphic Image-Making
- Public Art
- Fashion Illustration
- Multidisciplinary Work in Fine Art.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
The course will primarily focus on the development of practical Art & Design skills. However, in order to be a successful and creative professional you will need to acquire excellent team working, communication and entrepreneurial skills. Opportunities will be given for you to work in teams as well as individually. You will work on a variety of assignment combinations, which will be given tight deadlines. Work based learning and live briefs form an integral part of this course.
The course is assignment based and continuously assessed; you will construct a comprehensive portfolio for each assignment. The Final Major Project is externally assessed and will form the basis of your final exhibition.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- Visits to national art galleries form part of the course and you will benefit from a residential trip.
- Links with local artists/designers and galleries will enhance your learning experience.
- A variety of practicing professional designers will also deliver aspects of your curriculum.
- Live briefs will give you valuable experience of working for a client or organisation; encouraging the development of your skills, professionalism and the sense of responsibility you’ll need to be an Artist or Designer.
What Could I Do Next?
- You could go on to a Higher Education qualification via the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design at Seevic College.
- You could progress to a wide range of Art & Design related degrees at university.
- You could also enter employment directly, working in a design related industry.
Former student success
Former students have progressed in to a wide range of art and design related jobs, from a fashion producer to a successful tattoo artist. Many students progress directly to Art or Design degrees at specialist art colleges or universities.
General Entry Requirements
Five GCSEs (minimum) Grade C/4 or above including English Language or Maths. If your English Language is a D/3, your Maths must be at least a C/4 and vice versa.
A Level 2 BTEC Diploma or above and GCSE English Language or Maths at grade C/4 or above.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Grade C/4 or above in an Art, Design or Media based GCSE is preferred.
- Students will be required to present a portfolio or sketchbook of art work as part of the interview process to demonstrate commitment and potential.
- You will be expected to supply your own basic art kit: a USB stick, sketch books and
- There will be external visits to London galleries and studios.