Animals (Caring for)
Level 1, BTEC Extended Certificate
Duration: One-year Course
If you want a career working with animals or in agriculture and the environment, this could be the course for you.
You’ll gain the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to assist with the care and movement of animals. Off-site visits will offer the opportunity to gain an understanding of farm animal health, including the health of horses.
If you would like to study a Level 1 course but aren’t sure what you’d like to do in the future, you can try a variety of courses throughout the year whilst developing your English and Maths skills.
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Learning programme, you will be able to continue to a Level 2 qualification in any of the areas you have experienced.
- Self reflection
- Career planning
The course also includes work experience, PSHE tutorials and one-to-one tutorials.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
You will be assessed through assignments, portfolios of authenticated photographs and written statements from your work experience at the farm. During your English lessons you will practice developing your communication skills including interview skills.
During Maths lessons you will focus on areas you find difficult and develop these during practical lessons to help you relate the learning to real life situations.
In your Personal and Social Development sessions you will set your own targets and develop life skills and independence skills through a variety of activities including trips to activity centres, driving a car, residential weekend trips and participate in mock interviews and work experience activities.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- Regular trips to farms, zoos and other pet care facilities
- Your Tutor has a real passion for animals and specialises in breeding Alaskan malamute sled dogs
- Onsite small animals
- Opportunity to attend a residential placement to develop your independence skills.
What Could I Do Next?
When you finish this course you could progress to the Level 2 BTEC Diploma in Animal Care, or begin an Apprenticeship, Traineeship or Supported Internship programme dependent on your individual needs.
General Entry Requirements
GCSE grade E/2 or above in English and Maths.
Specific Entry Requirements
You will need the ability to contribute and benefit from the programme, as well as a genuine fondness for animals.
- You will be expected to purchase clothing appropriate to working on a farm which will include an Animal Care sweatshirt
- You will need sensible shoes
- You will go on trips to zoos and pet care centres which will incur a cost
- You will also have the opportunity to stay away from home developing your confidence and independence skills.