Applied Science (Bio Chemistry/Bio Medicine)
Level 3, BTEC Extended Diploma
Duration: Two Year Course
Applied Science is an ideal choice if you are passionate about all areas of science and enjoy understanding how it is used in all aspects of our everyday lives.
Applied Science covers a wide range of topics across the three broad disciplines of science:
The course draws from the scientific knowledge you learn in the classroom to aid in developing a high level of practical laboratory skills that will stand you in good stead for either further study or the work place.
- Principles and Applications of Science
- Principles Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Laboratory Techniques and there Application
- Investigation Project
- Biology – including Physiology of the Human Body, Genetics, Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways and Biomedical Techniques
- Physics – Electrical Circuits and Electronics, Medical Physics and Cryogenics and Vacuum Technology
- Chemistry – Practical Chemical and Applications of Organic Chemistry analysis
- General Science – Forensic Science.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
The course is a theory based course with practical elements and assessments built into it. Assessment will be through continuous assignments taught through lectures, practical laboratory work, presentations, independent research tasks, trips and guest speakers.
You will sit two exams and the work load is substantial and good organisational and time management skills are essential. This is a very practical course, with a heavy emphasis independent research. It is 100% assignment based.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- A mixture of theory and practical allowing you to put into practice what you learn in the classroom.
- Tutors from a variety of industrial back grounds will help you relate theory to the workplace.
- Opportunity of work experience over the two years – allowing you to develop excellent employability skills.
- Unrivalled support, workshop and help sessions run throughout the year by your Tutors.
What Could I Do Next?
This qualification could prepare you for work in the science industry. You could also progress on to Higher Education to study a range of scientific degrees including: Pharmacy, Biomedicine, Forensics and Zoology.
Former student success
"I had no idea that BTEC Applied Science would be so useful to me"
Ex-student Vicky studied the Extended Diploma in Applied Science at Seevic and achieved D*D*D. She is now working in the Microbiology and Virology laboratories in Basildon Hospital, who are also funding her to undertake a four year degree to become a qualified Biomedical Scientist. The course aided her in developing her practical microbiology techniques and theoretical knowledge of how diseases are transmitted. She now uses these skills every day in the laboratory. Vicky’s advice to prospective students: “I enjoyed doing the BTEC course, I had no idea that Applied Science would be so useful to me when I was doing it. Put the work in to get the best grade you can, because you never know what job you will end up doing.”
General Entry Requirements
Five GCSEs (minimum) Grade C or above including English language or maths. If you achieve English at a Grade C/4, your maths grade must be a D/3 and vice versa.
Students will be accepted with Level 2 BTEC Diploma (or equivalent) at Merit Level and English Language or Maths at Level C/4.
Specific Entry Requirements
CC or above in GCSE Science (or equivalent), a C/4 or above in GCSE Maths and C/4 in GCSE English.