Media & Theatrical Make-up
Level 3, BTEC Subsidiary
Duration: Two Year Course
Learn the secrets of Special Effects (SFX) Make-up on this BTEC Subsidiary Diploma, which can be studied as part of your A-Level programme.
This course will prepare you for a cosmetics career in the entertainment industry or progress to a specialist Make-up School.
You will study Make-up application techniques, as well as the context and theory behind Make-up applications in film/TV and theatre. You will also experiment with a range of SFX Make-up techniques; discovering how to sculpt, mould and cast your own prosthetics.
- Production Arts Workshop
- Make-up Application and Creative Uses for Performance
- Specialist Effects Make-Up
- Make-up for Performers
- Mask making for Performers
- Make-up using Prosthetics
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
You will build a portfolio of practical application photos and theoretical assignments, along with sketch pads for research and face charts. You will be taught through a sequence of projects that encourage you to develop your skills and understanding. You will be assessed by coursework and on-going in class assessment.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- You will grow your portfolio, skills and confidence, in order to succeed in the industry across a range of disciplines.
- Upon completion of the course you will have designed and applied a range of full body make-up techniques including: prosthetics, full fabrication and costuming.
What Could I Do Next?
This course will equip you to undertake a variety of Make-up and SFX occupations for the stage and screen.
General Entry Requirements
At least five GCSEs at grade C or above including English or maths OR Level 2 BTEC Diploma (or equivalent) in a related area at Merit Level.
Specific Entry Requirements
GCSE Art is desirable but not essential. You will be required to present a portfolio of work to demonstrate your ability in this area.
You will need sketch pads, a lever arch folder and plastic pockets; we would also suggest that you invest in a personal colour printer, and be aware of the approximate kit costs below:
- Basic kit – £50 (first term)
- Basic SFX kit – £50 (second term).