Level 3, A Level
Duration: Two Year Course
A-Level Fine Art will provide you with the opportunity to enhance your knowledge about the fundamental visual elements of representational art.
You will explore them through: drawing, printmaking and painting, as well as developing ideas digitally and in three dimensions.
This course is perfect if you are considering a career in any of the following areas:
- Art Therapy
- Fine Art (as a Painter, Sculptor, Printmaker or Multimedia Artist)
- Interior Design
- Theatre Design.
- Portrait and figure drawing
- Perspective in the representation of architecture
- Use of composition
- Colour theory
- Painting with techniques of the old masters
- Pointillism and divisionism with extended planes
- Screen-printing with discord colour
- Composing with the golden ratio.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
You’ll work on creative projects that promote personal interpretation and the development of individual style. Contextual research is a significant requirement, and you will be taught how to analyse artwork using technical terms. Your practical work will be completed on location, as well as in the Art Studio. Research projects will be resourced from department materials, the library and by access to the College Intranet. You will complete one coursework unit and one externally set test in each year of study.
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- Visits are made to galleries to appreciate the historical development and current trends within the area of art.
- You will have the opportunity to visit galleries and museums in London, Cambridge and Europe.
What Could I Do Next?
If you wish to study Art & Design at a higher level, then this is the course for you. On successful completion of the course you will have the opportunity to:
- Progress to the Foundation Diploma in Art & Design at Seevic College
- Continue on to university or a specialist Art College
- Pursue a career in any of the following areas: Animation, Architecture, Art Therapy, Fine Art (as a Painter, Sculptor, Printmaker or Multimedia Artist), Illustration, Interior Design and Theatre Design.
General Entry Requirements
Average point score of 5.3, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score MUST include at least five GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
If you achieve English at a Grade C/4, your Maths grade must be a D and vice versa.
Students who achieve an average point score of 5.0 may be considered, this will be discussed with you at your interview which you will receive after you apply.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Grade C/4 or above in an Art or Design based GCSE (exceptions can be made if you have a passion for the subject and can bring in evidence of creative work).
- You will be required to present a portfolio of artwork to a member of our team as part of the interview process.
- Trips will cost approximately £30 a year with an additional optional visit to a city on the continent and/or a residential trip in the second year
- The approximate cost of materials and equipment is £30 per year