Level 3, A Level
Duration: Two Year Course
Do you find language fascinating and want to develop your understanding of how it works?
If so, English Language is your ideal A-Level subject. You will be introduced to new areas of study relating to the nature and usage of the English language.
You will also analyse a wide range of texts and learn about a number of topics in the study of language, including:
- Language diversity and change
- Children’s language development
- How language varies, according to genre.
Language, the Individual and Society:
- Textual Variations & Representations
- Children’s Language Development.
Language Diversity and Change:
- Diversity & Change
- Language Discourses.
Language in Action (coursework module):
- A Language Investigation
- Original Writing.
How Will I Be Taught and Assessed?
Much of your work will consist of the analysis of short texts, exploring speakers' and writers' language choices in their contexts. You will be assessed by examination (80%) and coursework (20%).
Why Should I Choose Seevic College?
- As an A-Level English Language student at Seevic College you will be taught by highly experienced Tutors, each one an expert on the English Language.
What Could I Do Next?
The course develops widely useful and highly transferable skills. Potential career options you could explore with a Language qualification might include:
You will also be able to continue your study at degree level in subjects such as:
- Creative Writing
- Language and Linguistics.
General Entry Requirements
Average point score of 5.3, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score MUST include at least five GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
If you achieve English at a Grade C/4, your Maths grade must be a D/3 and vice versa.
Specific Entry Requirements
Grade C/4 or above in GCSE English Literature, plus B/6 or above in GCSE English Language.
- You are advised to buy your own textbook
- There may be optional educational visits.